Local Climate Solutions for Africa (LoCS4Africa)
The Local Climate Solutions for Africa (LoCS4Africa) Congress series is Africa’s leading platform on local climate action for cities and other sub-national governments. The congress offers the opportunity for direct engagement and strategic discussions around current local climate solutions and emerging trends relating to urban climate resilience and low carbon development in Africa.
Download the 'Save the date' leaflet 2017.
Focus on Cities: Water & Climate in Africa
LoCS4Africa 2017: Water & Climate will explore the critical links between climate change and urban water and sanitation in Africa’s cities. Globally, only 2% of our planet’s water is freshwater, which is fundamental to human livelihoods and urban development alike.
Water is THE critical challenge facing many of Africa’s local governments. African cities, ranging from large metro’s to small towns, are increasingly experiencing challenges related to water security, drought and flooding. As such, there has never been a more relevant time for a pan-African congress to move ‘from dialogue to action,’ providing on the ground solutions, unpacking emerging trends and unlocking financial mechanisms for improved climate resilient development at the local level.
- Connect Africa’s cities with local to global water and sanitation climate resilient solutions
- Re-imagine development within a rapidly urbanizing continent
- Unpack water and climate opportunities for African cities arising from the Paris Agreement, the New Urban Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals
LoCS4Africa 2017: Water & Climate Congress Call for Abstracts
The organisers are proud to announce the call for abstracts for the Inaugural ‘LoCS4Africa 2017: Water & Climate Congress’, which will be held in South Africa, 22-24 March 2017. This congress is the first of its kind, bringing together cities from across the African continent to share emerging and innovative solutions to address local urban water and sanitation challenges in the context of a rapidly changing climate. Selected papers from the congress will be published in a special issue: ‘Africa Cities: Water & Climate’ report in April 2017.
The main themes of the congress include:
- Urban Water & Sanitation Solutions
- Integrated Urban Water and Sanitation Management
- Urban Climate Resilience
- Integrated Urban Planning and Development
- Connecting Policy and Practice
- Finance Climate Resilience and Urban Water & Sanitation Development
- SDG’s Water, Climate & Cities
- Promoting Health in our Cities
ICLEI Africa hereby invites cities, development partners, researchers, innovators, business and practitioners to submit an abstract for consideration.
The closing date for abstract submission is 16 September 2016.
Download the abstract submission form.
Source and updates: LoCS4Africa