There is a severe shortage of opportunities for junior and mid-career researchers to acquire and develop clinical research skills in sub-Saharan Africa. Increased possibilities for individual training would enable talented scientists to establish themselves as independent researchers and team leaders at host institutions in sub-Saharan Africa.
The purpose of this Call for Proposals is to provide funding to actions that aim to support junior to mid-career researchers (“fellows”) to train and develop their clinical research skills.
The objectives are:
- To promote career development and retention of postdoctoral researchers and postgraduate medical researchers in the research field and in sub-Saharan Africa;
- To equip the fellows with the ability to establish themselves as independent researchers and with the skills to initiate and manage their own research and team at host organisations in sub-Saharan Africa.
The proposed action should specifically enhance the ability of the fellow to design, plan and execute clinical biomedical and/or social science/ethics research projects within the scope of the EDCTP2 programme. The proposed training should include an independent research activity and a clear description of the skills that will be acquired by carrying out the research.
Application for an EDCTP Career Development Fellowship must be submitted by the prospective fellow in conjunction with and on behalf of their proposed host organisation (‘the applicant legal entity’). The grants are awarded to the host organisation with the explicit commitment that this organisation offers appropriate conditions for the fellow to direct and manage its funding for the duration of the fellowship.
- The applicant must be an organisation with an established legal entity in sub-Saharan Africa (the applicant legal entity).
- The fellow must be employed or have guaranteed employment by the applicant legal entity (the host organisation) where they intend to remain working for a minimum of two years after the expiration of the grant
- Fellows must
- be a resident of or be willing to relocate to a sub-Saharan African country
- be either a graduate in a subject relevant to the EDCTP2 programme, with a PhD and up to five years’ relevant postdoctoral research experience, or a medical doctor with up to five years’ research experience;
- must not have received funding for this fellowship scheme before.
- The requested EDCTP contribution per action shall not exceed € 150,000.
- The maximum fellowship duration shall be 36 months.
* Conditions apply, please visit the call website for details.
Submission and evaluation procedure
This is a single-stage application procedure. Proposals must be submitted by 28 February 2017 via EDCTPgrants. Applicants will be notified of the outcome by 7 July 2017.
The host organisation (applicant) must provide a support letter confirming that the organisation is supportive of the proposed action and willing through its financial and administrative systems to enable the fellow to direct independently the proposed action and manage its funding for the duration of the fellowship.
The call budget is 2.1 million EUR.
The maximum fellowship duration shall be 36 months and the requested EDCTP contribution should not exceed 150,000 EUR. The funding level is 100% of eligible costs.
The legal entity employing the successful fellow (‘host organisation’) is required to sign a grant agreement with EDCTP (EDCTP2 mono-beneficiary grant agreement with options for fellowships) within three months of receipt of the conditional award letter.
For more details visit the call website.