The Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, German Research Foundation) calls for proposals of joint research projects between scientists in Germany and Africa investigating infectious diseases and their social and societal implications.
The scope of the call includes:
- The investigation of neglected infectious diseases in humans and animals but also research on topics of their social and economical impact.
- The establishment or consolidation of mutually beneficial equal partnerships that allow Af-rican researchers to investigate topics of local significance and that open up research op-portunities in Africa for German scientists in the long term.
- An additional central goal is to provide support and funding for the academic and profes-sional careers of young African researchers in their home countries in order to contribute to building research capacities in Africa.
- It is furthermore desirable to strengthen research networks within Africa, therefore several African partners may participate in one project.
The DFG primarily seeks to encourage researchers in human and veterinary medicine to apply for funding of projects on the investigation of neglected tropical infectious diseases.
The scope of the call excludes:
• funding of research infrastructure (but necessary additions to the equipment can be ap-plied for)
• clinical studies
• development of diagnostic procedures
• search for novel pharmacological substances without primarily investigating their mecha-nisms of action
• product development
• epidemiological surveys without directly aiming at establishing virulence mechanisms
• projects limited to collecting and/or sequencing of infectiological samples or isolates
More information on eligibility and submission procedure can be found here
Draft proposals must be submitted by 6 December 2017.