At their Senior Officials Meeting in Addis Ababa on 4-5 April 2016 the members of the EU-Africa High Level Policy Dialogue on science, technology and innovation launched a new Research and Innovation Partnership on Food and Nutrition Security and Sustainable Agriculture.
The new partnership was also discussed at a Stakeholder Forum hosted by the HLPD Bureau on 5 and 6 April.
Key feature of the Research and Innovation Partnership is the enhanced coordination of relevant research and innovation policies, programmes and funding mechanisms between Europe and Africa:
- operating in a food systems approach and across the entire value chain, linking research to innovation, involving all relevant stakeholders for enhanced impact at local level;
- jointly designed, owned, managed and resourced;
- taking an integrated approach, recognising the cross-cutting nature of entrepreneurship, research infrastructures and research and innovation capacity building.
The Roadmap adopted on 7 April lists four priority themes are proposed as a basis for a joint research agenda of the EU-Africa Research and Innovation Partnership:
- Sustainable intensification;
- Agriculture and food systems for nutrition;
- Expansion and improvement of agricultural trade and markets; and
- A group of cross-cutting topics.
Across these four indicative themes specific research projects should be identified in a joint consultative process with a broad range of stakeholders.
In the short to medium terms, in order to build momentum, the Research and Innovation Partnership draws on current and new bi-regional, regional and member state projects, programmes and support mechanisms, where goals broadly align with those of the Research and Innovation Partnership.
Looking to the longer term, the Research and Innovation Partnership must make use of novel mechanisms and approaches and elaborate a dedicated structure to support the Research and Innovation Partnership’s implementation, as well as assuring the vital aspect of monitoring and evaluation.
Download and futher information
Roadmap towards a jointly funded EU-Africa Research & Innovation Partnership
on Food and Nutrition Security and Sustainable Agriculture
HLPD Senior Officials Meeting
HLPD Meeting Conclusions
African Union and European Union Joint Communique
News article: EU and Africa join forces on food and nutrition research